Monday, September 20, 2010

Monday Book Review- The Shortest Book Ever On Saving for Retirement- James O'Donnell


Before our trip to Jackson Hole, Wyoming, I picked out a couple of books that I wanted to get through during the trip. About a day into the trip I was already done with one, which is aptly names, "The Shortest Book Ever On Saving for Retirement."

When you get into the topic of investing for retirement, people usually tend to go two different directions. Either they will admit their inferiority on the subject matter and simply point you towards the nearest investment advisor, or they will overwhelm you with investment jargon.

James O’Donnell does a wonderful job of doing neither. He has the wealth of knowledge one needs to give proper guidance, but at the same time he has a grace to guide you through all of the 401(k)’s and 403(b)’s.

This book is fresh and to the point. It is also in my opinion solid financial advice. I have a rule of thumb when it comes to investments and if I can’t explain what I’m investing in and how it works in less than 2 minutes, then I need to stay away.

For those who have no idea where to start when it comes to investing, this book is a great place to start. Spend a weekend reading through it and then put together a plan of action to follow through on this author’s solid advice. You will not be sorry if you do.

No comments: